How to Take a Taxi in Bali Without Getting Scammed?
For a better experience, hire Blue Bird taxis which have gained a good reputation for treating tourists honestly and decently. This is how to take a taxi in bali without getting scammed.
Taxi scam in Bali
This is undoubtedly the most common scam and affects all travelers who take a Taxi. You stop a taxi in the street, you get in the taxi, give your destination and, surprise, the driver does not start the meter but announces a fixed price to you.
You think the driver is honest and gives you the usual fare and accepts. But in reality you paid 3,5 or 10 times the normal rate.
Or another method, they tamper with the meter, you take the Taxi, the driver starts the meter but it increases at an abnormal rate 2 to 3 times faster than normal.
The tourist is powerless against this illegal practice that the government allows. You do not know the distances, the prices and therefore accept, powerless.
How to Avoid a Taxi Scam in Bali?
We give you 2 solutions which are complementary and will allow you to get out of this extremely unpleasant situation:
Note that the advice and prices indicated below are applicable in town in Bali but are not applicable for Taxis on your arrival at Bali airport since Taxis with meter and Taxis online are not authorized to take passengers. but only to deposit.
See here to order a driver when you arrive at the airport: Bali Airport PickUp, Drop-Off Service, Excursion, Travel and Transportation Services at Villa Carissa
Similarly, Taxis mainly do short distances, if you need a Taxi for a long distance from one city to another then you will have to order a car with private driver instead.
1. Look only for BLUE BIRD GROUP taxis
These are the most honest taxis in Bali, they automatically put the meter on it’s not even an option to discuss. You go up, the driver puts the meter. So avoid all the problems with other drivers trying to scam you and only take Taxi Blue Bird.
- If you are at a restaurant, villa or hotel ask to be called a Blue Bird Taxi or order yourself, a Taxi will usually be sent to you within 5-10 minutes
- If you are on the street, stop the taxis with a wave of your hand and locate the writing Bluebird.com on the side, or on the Blue Bird Group windshield, if you do not see it, let the taxi leave and try with the next.
- Do not be fooled by the little bird, even other taxis have this little blue bird, only the Bluebird inscription will show you that it is a real blue bird taxi.
Blue Bird apps links
How to recognize a BLUE BIRD Taxi
Many Taxis copy the appearance of Taxi Blue Bird to deceive Travelers here are the distinctive signs to recognize a real Taxi Blue bird.
Estimate the price of a trip with a Taxi Blue Bird Group
Support / strating fee: IDR 7,500
Race price: IDR 6,500/km
Price = IDR 7,500 + (IDR 6,500 x Distance in km)
So you just have to check the distance of your destination on Google Map and then calculate the price. For a 20km destination for example:
IDR 7,500 + (6,500 x 20km) = IDR 137,500
The price will vary because there is also a variable on the duration if for example there are traffic jams but I do not have the details to calculate this… so the price above is simply an estimate.
Order a Blue Bird Taxi
2. Use the GRAB application (replacement of UBER)
Update April 2018: UBER has sold its ASIA activities to competitor GRAB, so no more UBER in Asia you have to download the GRAB application instead.
Use Grab to order an independent taxi
Use the Grab application on your smartphone to order a driver quickly and with a race whose amount is calculated by the application, so no possible scam and on average 2x cheaper than a classic taxi.
You need a Wifi or 4G internet connection.
- Activate your GPS, Internet and start the application
- Indicate where we should pick you up, your destination and the method of payment (sometimes cash payment is available, sometimes not)
- Validate your order and you will be notified if a driver has accepted your order, the time it will take to arrive and his contact details.
- Wait for the driver
- You will pay either in cash to the driver or by credit card via the application, the choice is yours.
Use Grab to know the price of your ride
If you can’t find a Grab Taxi near you, and you can’t find a Blue Bird Taxi. So use the Grab application simply to get an estimate of the price of your trip and negotiate with the taxi driver an amount that is as close as possible to what the application tells you.
Grab is Southeast Asia’s leading superapp. It provides everyday services like Deliveries, Mobility, Financial Services, and More.
Online Taxis: GRAB and GOJEK
In addition to the GRAB application you have the GOJEK application. While GRAB is from Malaysia, GOJEK is from Indonesia and is the leader in the country. So you can install one or the other. Each offers many options: Taxi Scooter, Taxi car, Sending an object, ordering a meal, etc.
Online taxi apps for Bali
- Grab: iOS Apple, Google Play Android, AppGallery Huawei
- GoCar / GoJek: iOS Apple, Google Play Android
Limitations to Online Taxis
Note that like everywhere else in the world there is a struggle in Indonesia between traditional taxis and online taxis. It starts at the airport where Online Taxis are not allowed to take passengers and in: CANGGU, JIMBARAN they are not allowed either, finally there are sometimes hotels or other establishments that require to use the services of their driver or a partner carrier, so it’s up to you to improvise depending on the situation.
There are several areas in Bali where Gojek and Grab are prohibited from picking up passengers.
For most of places in Seminyak, Kuta, Sanur and Denpasar, you’re ok to use online taxi like Grab and GoCar. Or else, you may want to hire a car with a driver here (not too expensive): Bali Airport PickUp, Drop-Off Service, Excursion, Travel and Transportation Services at Villa Carissa
The best way to take a taxi in Bali without getting scammed (Resume)
1. Take ONLY Bluebird taxi.
2. Hire a private car with driver for 1 day or several days, if you want to visit many places.
3. Hire a half day private car with driver if needed. For example, if you want to go to Jimbaran beach for a dinner, you may want to take a half day car with a driver.